Food Department is responsible for regulating business of food grains including purchases,
storage, sales, transfer, milling, etc. under the Foodstuff (Control) Act, 1958.
Functions of the Food Department are:
- Procurement of wheat for issuance to the mills.
- To act as government agent to provide a wheat purchase window to the farmers at support price.
- Ensure Food Security in wheat and wheat products.
- Transportation from surplus to deficit regions.
- Protection of wheat from pest and other hazards.
- Targeted Food Support Programmes.
- Undertaking all activity related to export of wheat upto supply at port.
- Co-ordination with MOF, MOC, MINFAL, other provinces and International Agencies for matters relating to wheat.